Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
av8rr

Whole house plan(Main and sub-panels)

av8r
13 years ago

We are building a new house in Louisiana. I am doing much of the work myself. It will be inspected and I have talked with the inspector. I will run this plan by him but I wanted to get feedback here first. House is 4100s.f. heated and 7000s.f. total. Heat/Water Heaters/Range are gas. The side of the house where service will enter is opposite side from garage and utility room. My plan, Outside: 200 amp meter pan and 200 amp 30 circuit panel with a 200 amp main breaker. This panel will include breakers for 3 ton a/c, a 4 ton a/c, a 100 amp breaker for sub panel, and many of the branch circuits(20?)for that side of the house and kitchen. Inside: I plan to locate a second 30 circuit main lug panel about 125 feet away on the opposite side of the house in the garage or the utility room. This panel will feed a 3 ton a/c and the branch circuits for that side of the house. What size wire should I use for the sub panel? Should I go with copper or Al? Is the main panel being located outside typical for my area of the country. I don't think there is really anywhere inside on that side of the house I can locate it. Also, should I wire the entire house with #12 or is that a waste of time and money? Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)