Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
getting power for a light from an existing switch

Posted by banner51 (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 10:26

I have a 50's house with a dining room that has no ceiling light. There is a receptacle that works on a switch. I was wondering can I take power from the switch to get my power for a ceiling light

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: getting power for a light from an existing switch

It depends on how the switch and receptacle are wired.

If the feed goes to the switch first no problem.

If the feed goes to the receptacle first and a switch loop was run over to the switch then you do not have a neutral in the switch box.

o
RE: getting power for a light from an existing switch

There is hope even if the power goes to the receptacle first. If you are going to install the ceiling light and have no need for a switched receptacle you should be fine. Simply re wire the receptacle location to make what was previously the hot and return from the switch into a hot and neutral to the switch and wire the receptacle hot all the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here