Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mount outside lights into brick

Posted by sammy (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 9:49

We used to have a spotlight on the garage.

Years ago we renovated the garage, and made it a recreation room, so there are wires in the room, but now we want to have exterior lights on either side of the garage door. (It is a fake door that is now a wall.)

Since I don't want the wires to be seen, is it true that someone needs to drill through the brick, and connect with the wires in the room?

We need to find an electrician, and do you know if this is a time consuming task to connect the lights, or if it is an everyday type of task. I know that many houses around here have the lights on either side of the garage, but the house was built that way. Our house was built in 1979, and had a ugly spotlight.

I want to be sure that we keep things as cheap and simple as possible. Not knowing what to expect, we could end up paying a huge amount of money or we could get something that is cheap, and wouldn't last.

I'd like to know what to expect as far as cost and time.

Thanks,
Sammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mount outside lights into brick

Unless you want to surface mount an exterior box on the brick you need to cut a hole large enough for at least a single gang box in the brick.

In a brick veneer house (1 wythe thick brick on the exterior) the hole for the box will be as thick as the brick.

It is not especially hard to do, just a little time consuming.

I normally try yo locate the box so it is at a corner of the brick, then drill through the mortar and use a plugging chisel to clean out as much mortar as needed before cutting the bricks themselves with a chisel.

If you do a neat job the box and edges of the brick are covered by the lamp's base that attaches to the box for support.

o

Before you cut the brick you need to check to see that access to get the wire down into the wall is not blocked by a large header for the door.

o

How do you attach the box once you have cut the brick?

o

Use a masonry box held in place with mortar.

o

Or a plain box and polyurethane adhesive (it is with the caulk).

o

You have given me excellent advice, and I realize that a pro needs to do the work.

We found an electrician, and were very suspicious about using him. He is bonded and insured, and also showed us his list of prices. Everything that we need to have done is standard, and he does it all the time. In our case he will go to the attic, find the spotlight wire, and use it to connect the wires to the house.

In our case this is not a DIY job, and your responses helped me realize that.

Thanks
Sammy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here