Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What size portable generator

Posted by big_al_41 (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 10 at 8:46

Hi everyone, I am thinking of getting a gas powered portable generator for my home here in New England, just for hurricanes etc. I am on well water (I believe it's 1/2 hp ) and no central air. I want to run my well pump, small chest freezer, refig,possibly the furnace and a few lights. I have a glass top stove not sure about that.

I'm thinking 6000 kw. too small.. too big ? Any thoughts.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What size portable generator

You'll need to look up the actual consumption of the various things you want to connect, but I suspect you're probably in the right ballpark (depending on just what sort of furnace you've got), but the cooktop may be dicey (but a microwave will probably suffice).

Whatever you do, hook this up properly, no suicide cords, no backfeeding of the grid, etc...

o
RE: What size portable generator

Assuming you intended to say 6000 "watts", I can tell you that 6000 watts beats nothing by a whole lot, and with a little common sense you can probably run the items you listed.

If you really meant 6000kw,(6 MW) you will be able to run a good sized town. It will, however, be a pain in the rear end to move.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here