Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevin77_gw

Dock Wiring Advice

Kevin77
12 years ago

Hello,

Looking for some advice on running wire to our pier. The distance will be around 425' with about 175' in the ground and 250' under the pier walkway. I mainly want to be able to install a few lights at the end and be able to charge some batteries. I want to make sure I run enough power for a future boat lift (will probably have 1-1.5HP motor) and a gazebo which might have a light and fan.

In addition, I'd really like to add some lights to the long pier walkway. I'd prefer to be able to turn them on/off from a switch inside the house. The guys building my pier are not licensed electricians but have done quite a bit of wiring building docks for a long time. Here is what they tell me. Please let me know if this makes sense.

Basically they want to run a size 10 wire inside 1/2" PVC conduit all the way to the end of the pier. They say this should be enough to handle future boat lift expansion etc. For the walkway lights to be able to be operated from inside the house, they tell me we should run a second line (size 12), in its own conduit and then basically just tie the lights into this wire. If we put a light every 8 feet on one side only we are potentially looking at about 30-35 lights.

I welcome any and all input!

Thank you, Kevin

Comments (4)