Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magna_nz

urgent help (rigging at telephone)

magna_nz
12 years ago

I'm helping a friend do an project and I need to figure out a way to do this:

What I need is a telephone and when I pick up the handset, a message plays on loop. I don't want to hear a dial tone at all or have to dial to hear the message.

What's the easiest way to approach this?

Don't have much technical knowledge so easiest way is best thanks

Comments (6)

• chucksmom
    12 years ago

Sorry, no help here. I have no clue what the problem is. Please explain again and I'll try to help. I've installed phones many times but....

• Billl
    12 years ago

Well, if you don't want to dial etc, then you can't use anything connected to the telephone lines. You basically need to build a self contained system.

Basic components

1) Something that play audio on a loop
    2) A switch that opens and closes by lifting a handset - like the old style phones.

If you don't have the skills, then this project is probably beyond you unless you can find some stock parts to do those main actions.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

You might try talking to someone knowledgeable at someplace like Radio Shack.

• ionized_gw
    12 years ago

It seems like something you would see in some museums where people walk up to a display and pick up a hand-set.

• DavidR
    12 years ago

I think what you may be looking for is a digital message repeater. This is the kind of gadget that museums and the like sometimes use for audio at a display.

Try the link below. The same company offers a handset which I assume will work with the players they sell.

The usual disclaimer applies - I have no financial interest in these folks, have never traded with the company, know only as much as what you see on these pages, et cetera.

Here is a link that might be useful: Message repeaters

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"You might try talking to someone knowledgeable at someplace like Radio Shack."

The odds of finding anyone with real knowledge at Rat Shack is vanishingly small.