Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
junction box grounding

Posted by george111 (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 7:52

I have a 14x14x6 J-Box with 14 #12 romex entering and 14 #12 romex leaving box. Can I install a ground bar in box to properly ground?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: junction box grounding

You do not need a ground bar, but just a single correct machine screw in a threaded hole to ground the box.

A bar could be used as a convenient (if somewhat expensive) way to bond all the grounds together, but a separate wire from the bar to a machine screw to bond the box is still required.

o

Thanks brickeye, I thought all grounds in the cables had to be bonded to the box

o

"all grounds in the cables had to be bonded to the box"

You can join all the cables and then use a pigtail from the junction to ground the box.

The pigtail must be the size of the largest ground in the cables, but they are not required to each bond separately to the box.

If you leave the largest ground entering the box longer you can then cut of the excess length and use it as the bonding pigtail for the box.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here