Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a gift recommendation for a young electrician

Posted by enmnm (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 11 at 6:42

We were invited to a graduation party for a HS senior who is in an electrical training program and is in the process of applying to a related trade school. Can anyone recommend a nice and creative gift? The only thing I thought of was a kindle with the U.S. electric guidelines/manuals installed, but I'm not sure I wanted to spend *that* much.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a gift recommendation for a young electrician

The one thing I use every day is my subscription to the online version of the above. It's small dollars you can buy him a years worth or something. www.necplus.com

Tools are always appreciated. Greenlee makes a nice little pouch with a receptacle tester, VOM, and non contact tester for under $30 at Lowes and elsewhere.

o

honestly, a gift card to the local hardware store - i'd recommend something like a local Ace or True Value as opposed to Lowe's and Depot - prices are the same - that would be a perfect gift, although i understand you may want something more personal.

o

an abacus. You can hang it on the wall. It is an emergency calculator that works without electricity.

o

The abacus and small tool kits are great ideas. If anyone has any more, I'd love to hear them.

No gift cards--he's got his own money, and his parents have plenty of more money.

o

is he going for commercial,industrial or residential ? If commercial,industrial i'd suggest Heated thermal underwear. If residential i'd suggest and coarse in anger management. He'll find out what i mean.

o

I wish this site had a "like" button similar to facebook for kalining's comment hah. 6th year into my mainly residential business so I've found out hah.

o

A couple of things came to my mind...a really good set of lineman's pliers. A good high quality wire stripper. About 35 years ago my ex-mother-in-law bought me a small analog pocket multimeter I seem to still use to this day for quick continuity, voltage checks. If you want to go just a but higher in cost, a circuit tracer might come in handy. It does depend, as noted earlier, the field he intends to enter might require some more specialty tools but I think these basic tools would be a help. An anger management tutorial as kalining mentioned is a must for residential.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here