Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onthebrinck

Considering a Generac portable generator? Say hello for me!

onthebrinck
11 years ago

This is a rant! If you are considering a Generac, please support your fellow forum mate and tell them this story!

We were one house away from a 3-day power outage last year; we ran extension cords to them. So, my wife decided that this year we wouldn't be as lucky, and convinced me to buy a Generac 6500E portable generator. I shopped on-line and had it shipped --- total $900. Assembled it, ordered about $200 worth of extension cords, went to Home Depot for 2@5 gallon gas containers and fuel stabilizer, and bought 10 gallons of gasoline. The thing won't start! Read the manual twice, followed the instruction sticker on the machine ... nothing! Called Generac --- whoa! They could care less! Two people couldn't tell me where the spark plug was --- told me finally, that I shouldn't ever need to know that (although part of the self-maintenance it to clean and replace it). Finally they gave me the name of the nearest repair service. It never occurred to them to express concern that this was a brand new machine and that I was to somehow get a 300# thing into the trunk of my car, drive 45 minutes each way and leave the thing for a week!!!!

Comments (17)

• onthebrinck
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You may be on to something ... Although they provided a pint of oil, when I opened the oil fill there was already oil in the well, and it appeared to be up to the beginning of the threads --- but I could be seeing some residue and the oil tank was, in reality, empty. The little oil dipstick kept reading enough oil, but I wonder if it just scraped along the threads. I read somewhere that it came shipped with oil, so I assumed this to be the case. In a brand new machine, why would there be a little and not a full tank, right? Anyway, the guy at the service center showed me the spark plug ... and he couldn't get it started either. I'll keep the forum posted as to how this works out.

This post was not intended to criticize the performance of the generator but rather the lack of customer support --- always amazes me that so few people in the customer service departments of large companies ever know how to correctly deal with complaints --- why do they pick that job to begin with if they have no interest in people anyway?

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

Not that it excuses anything but I believe the portable generator business was something they acquired from another company a few years back.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Ranting when you did not follow the instructions is not exactly the vendors fault.

• onthebrinck
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was convinced the engine had oil, and I wasn't or haven't been yet told otherwise. It's not as simple as knowing there's gasoline in it; I saw oil, when I put my finger in, it came up with oil on it ... why would the manufacturer put a little bit of oil and not an entire quart?

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

Maybe because they tested the generator.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"why would the manufacturer put a little bit of oil and not an entire quart?"

They tested it and then drained the oil out for shipping (the same as any fuel in the tank).

What remains also helps limit rust damage form condensation during shipping ans storage.

Reading a dip stick is not all that hard.

Remove, wipe off, insert, remove again and read.

• angim
    11 years ago

My name is Angi and I am with Generac Power Systems. I would like to further discuss your experience with you. At your convenience, please feel free to contact me directly. 1.888.436.3722 X2560

• lbpod
    11 years ago

WOW,I hope Onthebrinck shares with us what Angi
    has to say. At least it is a good sign that
    Generac is monitoring what it's unhappy customers
    are saying.

• onthebrinck
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My wife's in the hospital for a few days/week ... I'll catch up with this post when I'm able --- soon. I, too, am interested in what Angi has to say. BTW ... generator was repaired and it was a loose wire --- as well as low oil.

• angim
    11 years ago

ontherbrinck -
    This is Angi from Generac. I just wanted to follow up with you to see if you still needed any assistance from us? If so, please feel free to contact me directly.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

I was witness to a generator, right out of the box, not supplying on one leg. It was opened up because we need to run a food service cooler with it, It was a wire not connected to a terminal as it was supposed to be. I don't recall what brand.

• Auger01
    11 years ago

If you cant find the spark plug, then you probably should not attempt to service the machine.

• GeneratorXpert
    11 years ago

If your still having problems with it now, you should take it back to Home Depot. I think I would have taken it back the first day. I hope you registered a warranty. If not sorry.

Wish I could of made it to this thread a little bit earlier to through some advice about these generators, and how much of a pain they can be.

Here's some advice to the newbies. If your thinking about getting a portable generator, go check out the Yamaha brand. They're the most reliable dealer of generators on the market. The only one that even comes close is the Honda, but Yamaha very well outweighs. It's features doesn't compare to other brands, and the price is always affordable. More info on Yamaha generators here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yamaha Generators

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

GeneratorXpert, thanks for your post. Next time though you may want to lay off on the advertising just a bit.

• kalining
    11 years ago

all kindind aside. they don't call them " GenerCrap for nothing. good luck on that one.

• Larry Dyer
    7 years ago

I have the same problem No support would never buy again Gp6500E