Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onthebrinck

Looking for short length 12/3 extension cord

onthebrinck
11 years ago

I got my new generator, and thought I'd anticipate plugging in the refrigerator in an emergency. Decided I'd plug the refrigerator into a short length 12/3 extension cord and make that connection easily accessible toward the front of the alcove so I wouldn't have to pull the refrigerator out during an emergency --- just reach in, unplug the refrigerator from the extension cord and plug it into the power cord from the generator. Try finding a short length 12/3 power cord!!!! I can find 14/3 6' lengths, I can find 12/3 9' lengths with that funny configuration (NEMA 6?) for 'heavy appliances', and I can find 25' long 12/3 cords --- I want a +/- 9' 12/3 length with a conventional configuration.

If no one knows where to get one, can I get an adapter for the NEMA6 to a NEMA5? Can I use a 6' 14/3 (appliance) cord for a 21CF Refrigerator?

BTW: please, resist the temptation to sell me on the idea of a transfer switch. I investigated it, and to have it professionally installed would cost $800 plus the cost of equipment ... more than $1200 total!

Comments (9)