Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borisf_gw

Overhead wiring to detached garage

borisf
16 years ago

We have a detached garage and I'd like to get electricity out there to run the opener and some lights. This isn't going to be a workshop so 20A service on 12/2 should be fine. The garage is very close to the house (see attached picture) so I'm thinking that going across in the air would be easier than breaking up the concrete and going underground.

I'm fairly proficient (rewired my house and installed a subpanel) but haven't found any instructions on doing something similar. My plan is to come out of the house with an LB, go up the house using 3/4" or 1" metal conduit then come across. The question is how to come across. The top of the garage roof pitch is about 12' up so I'd expect this would be ok height-wise. I'd also expect that I'd need some sort of strain-relief and weatherproofing but I'm not sure what the code is on something like this.

Any help or pointers to the right info would be much appreciated. Or course, if you think that I should just bust a trench in the concrete and go underground please don't hesitate to say that also. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (5)