Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_228

Chandelier, 2 of 6 arms still unlit after replacing 2 sockets

mary_228
13 years ago

2 arms of my 6 arm chandelier will no longer light. It is not a bulb problem (checked that). The arms are 180 degrees apart. I suspected the sockets went bad. Bought replacement ones at a local lamp store and installed them myself. This did not fix the problem!

I noticed the chandelier has been rotated multiple times, most likely from cleaning it. So now I suspect a wiring issue. I did some troubleshooting with an LED circuit tester.

Using the tester, a good arm (socket) shows:

1. LED lights up when I contact the Right (hot) screw to the Left (neutral) screw of the socket.

2. LED lights up when I contact the Right (hot) screw to Ground (the adjustable socket holder).

3. LED does NOT light up when I contact the Left (neutral) screw to Ground.

Using the tester, the 1st bad arm (socket) shows:

1. LED lights up VERY FAINTLY when I contact the Right (hot) screw to the Left (neutral) screw of the socket.

2. LED lights up when I contact the Right (hot) screw to Ground (the adjustable socket holder).

3. LED does NOT light up when I contact the Left (neutral) screw to Ground.

Note that for these tests of the 1st bad arm, the socket was NOT wired in the 2nd bad arm . I repeated the test on the 1st arm socket with the socket wired in the 2nd bad arm and found that the LED DID light up when I contacted the Left (neutral) screw to Ground in the 1st socket! This should not happen, right?

Using the tester, the 2st bad arm (socket) shows:

1. LED lights up when I contact the Right (hot) screw to the Left (neutral) screw of the socket.

3. LED LIGHTS UP when I contact the Left (neutral) screw to Ground. This should not happen, right?

Note this test occured with the socket wired in the 1st bad arm.

If anyone can make sense out of this, please help. Or suggest an alternative troubleshooting approach. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (3)