Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many commercial electric H3 cans on 15 amp circuit

Posted by anniel89 (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 0:24

Hi all,

What's the most you would put on one circuit? I plan to use LED bulbs but want to install for worst case scenario (incandescent).

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many commercial electric H3 cans on 15 amp circuit

Once you tell us how many watts the bulbs are, the question can be answered.

o

Let's say 75 max.

o

A 15A circuit at 80% utilization is 1440 VA (for all intents and purposes here, watts). That's 19 75W bulbs. Actually, I think the biggest you can put in an H3 is 50W, so in that case you'd get 28.

o

Turns out it's a 150w max. The sticker has several options that I thought were all the different models - turns out it's the different kinds of trim and you can use different bulbs with certain trim.

The max bulb with some version of trim is 150w.
Therefore, I need to wire for that. Kinda stinks.

o

Why are you worried about the worst case scenario?

o

If you are worried about some unknown person in the unknown future switching out your LEDs for the max incandescents possible, the worst case scenario is that the breaker trips and they realize that they can't do that. It isn't going to burn the house down or anything.

o

It depends where he is in the country. In some places he may run into inspection issues, of course some places with strict energy codes wouldn't allow fixtures you could take the efficient bulbs out and replace them with the heat generators at all.

o

It's an inspection issue. I pulled a permit and I'm doing it right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here