Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ceiling fan wiring help, please

Posted by beth_fl (My Page) on
Thu, May 5, 11 at 0:12

someone hooked up a ceiling fan with lights for me, and did it wrong, because it didn't work properly. It turns on through a switch, that also turns an outlet on and off near the door. I took it down awhile ago, and did not label wires, as it was wrong. I am ready to hook up another fan/light, and need help on how to do it. I have 3 black wires, 3 white wires and 1 red wire coming from the ceiling. Should there be that many? Am I correct in thinking i need to connect and cap two of these seperately, as they don't have anything to do with the fan? It just seems like a lot of wires. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. It is starting to warm up, and I am trying not to use the a/c all day and night,
Beth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ceiling fan wiring help, please

Are there two switches, one for the light and one for the fan?
You most likely have three cables entering the box: one set (b/w) is the hot feed in, one set (b/w) is the feed out to the receptacle, and the other set (b/r/w) is to the switch. You will need to determine if this is correct and identify each before proceeding. (Note: each cable should also include a bare or green grounding wire).

o
RE: ceiling fan wiring help, please

This situation is likely to require significant elecrical expertise. Randomly connecting wires can create a potentially hazardous situation.

You may need to conduct tests using a multimeter to determine which wires provide what function. If you don't have any experience in that area, I suggest you get a copy of Wiring Simplified from your public library (or buy it at a bookstore or Home Depot store). Study the introductory section on basic electrical circuits especially well. Then you'll be in better shape to tackle this problem.

If that seems like too much effort for one small fan installation (which would be understandable), then maybe it's time to call in a pro.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here