Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cord for outdoor post light, no plug??

Posted by cardwellave (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 0:07

Hey all I have an outdoor post light and there is a cord that runs into the ground and then pops out next to the house, goes in a small hole and into the basement. I can find the cord in the basement and it simply is cut...no plug. the cord is quite narrow, maybe an eighth of an inch and round. About as big as one half of a typical cord on a lamp that looks like two lines put together. My question is how do I go about fixing this to run it somewhere to plug in? I want to see if it will work, I would really like the post light to work!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cord for outdoor post light, no plug??

It's a pretty safe bet that whatever you have existing doesn't meet code. There's a fair chance the plug is cut off because there's a short in the line. You'd need to use a cable approved for direct burial like UF-B.

o

It sounds like somebody hacked it up with inappropriate and unapproved wire, and the wire failed. I think I see some digging in your future.

o

The only way that could not be a code violation -- and not be potentially dangerous -- is: 1) if the light is low voltage (12V), and the wiring is, too; or 2) that wire is part of the controller for a photocell and the power comes from elsewhere. Can you tell by inspection if that is a regular fixture or low voltage, or if you can see a photocell anywhere?

o

If you use rigid metal or intermediate conduit you only need to bury the conduit 6 inches deep.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here