Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
4-prong to 3-prong 220 adaptor

Posted by edselpdx (My Page) on
Thu, May 7, 09 at 0:02

I am in the US. I had an older Asko stacking washer and dryer set. The washer was plugged into the back of the dryer, which plugged into a big current-code 4-prong 10/3 wiring outlet. The dryer died (dead motor), and we dragged it to the curb and posted it for scrap on Craigslist, so it is gone.

The washer has a 3-prong small male 220 plug that plugged into an outlet on the back of the (now-gone) dryer. This is not a big male plug (like the old dryer/range plugs), but rather one that at first glance would appear to be a standard grounded 110V plug, but indeed has the funny pattern of one of the flat prongs being sideways. I assumed when said dryer was discarded that the washer was a standard 110V grounded plug and I could plug it in and use it plus some fresh air to dry clothes until the new set is delivered next week. This is clearly not to be.

Soooooo. here I sit with a large current code 4-prong female outlet on the wall, hooked up to 10/3 wiring, and a washer full of now-mouldering wet clothes with a small 3-prong male cord. And the switch to pop the door open requires electricity to open.

I went to Big Orange and picked up a 220V outlet that would accommodate the small 3 prong male plug on the washer in order to plug the washer in for 15 seconds and pop the door. I am not intending to actually do any loads of laundry. Upon removing the 220 outlet from the wall, I realize that I am not 100% sure how to wire this for its 15 seconds of glory.

Circuit breaker is OFF--triple-checked and taped down. From the wall I have red (hot), black (hot), white (neutral--needed only for the 110 operations of the washer if any, from what I understand), and a bare copper ground. The new 3 prong outlet has spots for hot and hot (for Red and Black wires) and a green ground screw.

The question of the day: Where if at all does the white wire get hooked up to the smaller 220V outlet? I will just be operating the door latch once and unplugging, then reinstalling the 4-prong dryer 220V outlet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 4-prong to 3-prong 220 adaptor

This is not a big male plug (like the old dryer/range plugs), but rather one that at first glance would appear to be a standard grounded 110V plug, but indeed has the funny pattern of one of the flat prongs being sideways.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Your plug is a standard 110/120 volt plug at 20 amps. At the big orange look at their standard receptacles and you will find one rated for 20 amps that has one of the slots in a T shape.

o

Which flat blade is turned ?

Compare the 240V NEMA 6-20 vs. the 120V NEMA 5-20

Here is a link that might be useful: NEMA straight blades

o

The washer works at 240V, no neutral required.

o

"Your plug is a standard 110/120 volt plug at 20 amps. At the big orange look at their standard receptacles and you will find one rated for 20 amps that has one of the slots in a T shape." and "Your plug is a standard 110/120 volt plug at 20 amps"

The outlet I bought at Big Orange that will fit it is a 2-pole, 3-wire, 20amp-250V grounding outlet. One slot is horizontal, and the other looks like a "T" on its side, which fits the vertical flat blade.
Normel is right... this is a Swedish high-efficiency washer with an internal on-demand style water heater. It is 240V (as is it's replacement set from Bosch).

I will be pulling the big 4-slot dryer plug and wiring this in temporarily without the neutral (as normel confirmed for me--thanks).

I will plug this puppy in, turn on the power and pop the washer open. At which point I will immediately turn the breaker back off and undo all of this have the 240 dryer plug ready for the delivery guys when they arrive next week.

I'll post my results back here. Thanks to all.
sj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here