Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colloquor

Cutler-Hammer CH24MB200 Entrance Panel Question

Colloquor
10 years ago

We have a 42 year old house which has a Cutler Hammer CH24MB200 load center/entrance panel. Obviously from the model number, it's a 200A service. My question relates to the CH breakers used in this load center.

I've been "debugging" this house - figuratively and somewhat literally - since purchase! I've read on several electrical contractors forums that "double tapping" breakers on load centers does not meet the NEC. However, in researching the CH breaker, it appears that this breaker design, and its clamping-style connection for the wire, is designed for double tapping. If this is the case, does it meet the NEC when using a double-tapped CH breaker?

Of the 24 breakers in the load center, three 20A breakers are double tapped. Of course, this was done either during original construction, or a later remodel, and the home inspector didn't raise a red flag prior to our purchase.

Any input on this would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

Well, it's obviously a 200A panel. The panel is not necessarily the same size as the service, but it usually is.

As long as the breaker is listed for two wires under the clamp, it's legal in the NEC. That's purely a mechanical concern. You could have pigtailed the two wires together and put one wire on the screw even if the breaker only supported one wire per contact.

The biggest thing to check on these 20A breakers however:

1. Make sure all the wire gauges that are connected to them are of appropriate for the circuit (12g or larger).

2. Make sure these circuits aren't serving loads that are prohibited form being shared with others. Examples are the kitchen small appliance circuits, the bathroom receptacles, and the laundry receptacle.

Of course there's no guarantee that a home inspector isn't going to raise red flags. Most of them are idiots and only have a cursory knowledge of electrical rules.

• Colloquor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it is a 200A panel, and service, as the main breaker is 200A. Thanks for the follow-up. All of the 20A 120VAC single pole breakers are fed with #12AWG. I will have to check on the sharing aspect, as this is a very important point. All of the 240VAC breakers are fed with either #10AWG, or larger. Overall, I think the panel is in pretty good shape - just wish it had a few more breakers! Thanks again for your input.

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

Voltage doesn't drive the size of the wiring, just ampacity.

Again, the "main" breaker does not necessarily indicate the size of the service. You were wrong in your initial state net, you are wrong in your followup.

• Colloquor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A person asks for help, and what one receives is criticism! Amazing...

I am perfectly aware that current (amperes) determine the AWG size of the wire. Since I was "wrong in my initial "state net" (I assume you meant "statement"), and "I was wrong in my follow up", it would be of great assistance if you would educate rather than criticize.

I'm not an electrician, but I was a Navy Electronics Technician, and have a BSEE, so I do know a bit about electricity and electronics. But, I don't share your SA attitude.

Thread closed... I will ask a friend who is a union electrician.

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

Sorry, you took it the wrong way. I only wished to make sure you understand the issues since you made statements that ended to indicate a confusion.

• greg_2010
    10 years ago

Ron wasn't criticising, he was just correcting.

All of the 240VAC breakers are fed with either #10AWG, or larger
    Is a statement that shows that you didn't seem to understand that voltage and wire size have nothing to do with each other.

it is a 200A panel, and service, as the main breaker is 200A
    Service size and main breaker size are two totally different things. They may often be the same value, but they don't have to be.
    Service size is how much ampacity the distributor is providing you. The main breaker size is how much ampacity the breaker is limiting you to. The service size can be larger than the main breaker. It shouldn't be smaller.

I think you took offense where there was none intended.

This post was edited by greg_2010 on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 10:06

• petey_racer
    10 years ago

The whole "double tapping" issue is GREATLY over dramatized by home inspectors. Sure, it is a technical code violation with most breakers, but it IS NOT a safety issue nor is it dangerous. I've seen numerous burned wires due to loose connections/terminations, but in over 25 years I have NEVER seen a burned connection due to a breaker with two wires on it.
    Thing is, your modern CH series breaker DO allow two conductors of the same size. If this still bothers you simply take the wires off the breaker, splice a tail of the same gauge onto them, and put that single tail on the breaker.

Other than that follow Ron's advice. Personally, I as well did not see any criticism at all in his posts. No one likes being told they are wrong, but all in all he is spot on.