Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
number of outlets per circuit

Posted by buzzz (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 07 at 23:49

We are renovating our kitchen and adding undercounter and also over counter lights. The four overcounter lights will be on one switch and the four undercounter lights on a second switch but all on the same circuit from the panel. I read in my Electrical Wiring book that the max number of outlets per circuit is 12, do each of these count as one outlet for a total of 8? They are all 20 watt flourescent lights so they should not use many amps. Normally this would not be a problem but I am planning on tapping into an existing circuit that already has 8 outlets on it. So this would make it 16

What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: number of outlets per circuit

I see that you are in Canada.

o

Code says no more than 12 light outlets or 12 plug outlets or combination thereof per cc't. Each light counts as one outlet. I've seen many more than 12 devices/cc't. Is it OK? That's your decision. Is it safe? As long as you don't overload the cc't then it should be. Are you pulling a permit for this? If not, then I think you've answered your own question.

o

Each fixture counts as an outlet. Switches do not count. However since you have only lighting you are allowed more than 12. IF only lighting is on the circuit you are allowed to load the circuit to 80% of its max wattage rating. You must use the max wattage bulb allowed to be installed in the fixture to do this calc.

o

Thanks for all of your responses. Ya we are in Canada. Thanks Joed for the 80% rule. I will add up the max wattage for all of the light fixtures and see if I am ok to add the new ones in.

o

If they are fluorescent fixtures, you use the amp draw of the ballast, not the wattage of the bulb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here