Houzz Logo Print
dw85745

Electrical Outlet Near Toilet Supply

dw85745
11 years ago

I've moved the toilet and the toilet H20 supply is now in
the same wall cavity as an existing bedroom outlet which has
Romex 14-2 in it (Not GFI).

The outlet box is about 8 inches above the top of the H20 supply line. While no leaks are anticipated Murphy's Law is always an issue.

Does the NEC require this outlet to be GFI?

Comments (7)

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

There's no code issue with the water pipes sharing a wall cavity with a box or NM cable. GFCI is not required here (in fact, last few revisions of the code mandate AFCI here).

What you can't do is make a receptacle on that circuit available for the bathroom. Bathroom receptacles have specific requirements (dedicated 20A circuits, GFCI) not met here.

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

There's no code issue with the water pipes sharing a wall cavity with a box or NM cable. GFCI is not required here (in fact, last few revisions of the code mandate AFCI here).

What you can't do is make a receptacle on that circuit available for the bathroom. Bathroom receptacles have specific requirements (dedicated 20A circuits, GFCI) not met here.

• dw85745
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ronnatalie: Thanks for response.

[quote]
    [/quote]

Will leave as is -- but if GFI was required was going to power the bedroom receptacle from the bathroom circuit (which is 20A, UF, and GFCI).

Re: AFCI,: Was aware of this fact, Had thought about it, but would require an additional panel or major panel reworkl. Wiring all Romex and in great shape and I believe AFCI only required for new.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"I believe AFCI only required for new."

It depends on how the AHJ views adding a new receptacle/outlet on a circuit.

They could require it to be AFCI protected.

It is just a breaker change in newer panels.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 16:03

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

I don't think he's working on the electrical at all but the plumbing. You don't need to do anything strictly (unless he has some bizzaro building inspectors).

You can not connect things to bathroom receptacles willy nilly. Having a bedroom and bathroom receptacle on the same circuit is RIGHT OUT for a number of reasons.

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

To be specific, let us use the term recepticle and outlet appropriately.

The receptacles (120V 15 or 20A) in the bathroom ALWAYS must be GFCI.

The receptacles in the bathroom can EITHER:

be on a 20A circuit that serves only outlets in that bathroom (i.e., outlets include lights and fans, etc).

-OR-
    be on a 20A circuit that serves only RECEPTACLES in (more than one) bathroom.

An outlet in the bedroom or a non-receptacle outlet on a circuit serving multiple bathrooms is NOT allowed.

• hexus
    11 years ago

"It is just a breaker change in newer panels."

not if it's a MWBC.