Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the difference between AC and MC Cable

Posted by chefwong (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 23:13

Always have used BX in my house...which seems to = AC.
Aside from the looks of MC not having a paper sheath on the wires an a separate ground.

Out here in NYC BX land...the casing has always served as the ground for me.

Just curious as I saw a spool of MC the other day

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's the difference between AC and MC Cable

BX is not a defined term in the NEC. People tend to call any armored cable BX so it's by and large a meaningless term. AC will have a provision that will allow the sheath to be used as the equipment ground. MC may or may not, but it will also have a grounding conductor as well inside the sheath.

Either is fine as long as it is installed properly.

Did you have a question?

o

The biggest difference is that MC has full size ground wire while AC uses a combination of the jacket and a thin, aluminum bonding strip to function as the equipment ground. MC is available in a wider range of configurations with stuff like multiple and over-sized neutrals but for most residential purposes the two are interchangeable.

o

BX is an old manufacturer's name, not the name of the product.
Basic armored cable was developed in the early 1900s by Edwin Greenfield and Gus Johnson, who called their product BX cable. It has become a generic term for all armored cable like Kleenex is used for facial tissue and all refrigerators used to be called Frigidaires, regardless of the manufacturer.

o

The original armored was shown to cause sparks and could even become a heating element and cause fires.

The cure was the introduction of the small bonding strip to make sure the fault current would be adequate to trip an over-current device.

MC has a run ground, so the bonding strip is not needed.

o

Hi Chef,

Also a NYC resident and I always use AC or what most of us think of as "BX". What Mike says is all true and correct however there is just one more thing I would like to add...AC is definitely easier to work with as the jacket is steel and will flex and bend much easier especialy in runs where turns are involved. MC jackets are aluminum and do not provide the same "flex back" that AC does and can make it difficult to handle. Also just as a reminder, do not use Romex (plastic coated cable) as it does not pass inspection here. My next door neighbor had finished his basement and used it. Two years ago he sold the house and the home inspector discovered it and he had to rip open all the walls and change it out to BX.

o

Off topic but understood on Romex.
HOWEVER, you got me slightly curious but I do believe I checked when I did this

In my kitchen, I have both wiremould outlets and LV lighting underneath my cabs. I DID run BX to the wiremould strips.

From my Q tran transformer which sits inside a corner kitchen cab, I ran 4 runs of Romex inside the walls to that fed my Juno Trac 12 LV undercab lighting. ROMEX in this application is acceptable///up to code right ?

o

MC is available with steel armor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here