Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smoke Coming Out of New Floodlights

Posted by merdena (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 23:08

Our electrician (who wired our new house - and is by far the most reputable in the area)installed new floodlights today along the eaves of our house. He installed doubles on each end of the house, and a single in the middle. They tested them earlier today, with no apparent problems. We turned them on tonight for about an hour, and went inside. We had company, and as they were leaving, we noticed smoke coming out of both of the double floodlights (but we didn't think smoke was coming out of the one in the middle). I immediately turned off the floodlights and the smoking stopped. I checked in the attic and there is no fire. Tried to call the electrician, but his phone is turned off (it was about 9:00 p.m.). There is no more smoke. When we first turned the lights off they were hot around the outside. They are now cool (about an hour later). Of course, I won't turn the lights back on, and of course, I'll be calling the electrician first thing in the morning. But what could have caused it? And should I call the fire department tonight to have it checked out even though there's no more smoke?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smoke Coming Out of New Floodlights

Was frost or dew on the lamps?

o

I'm going with:

1- moisture. the "smoke" you saw was steam.
2- dust. the floodlights sat on a shelf for a while, and had dust on them. the heat from the lamps is causing the dust to burn off.
3- cheap paint on the lampholders.

Neither of the 3 is a huge issue.

o

what ever happend?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here