Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Slim Line Breakers

Posted by jimmyleon (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 22:49

Wanting to run a couple of floodlights outside of house and one receptacle. Wanted to put on seperate breaker. Murray box, 200 amps, but it is full. Can I take out a 15 amp somewhere in the box and add slim line breaker that will serve as two circuits to make room for this new circuit. Are the slim lines safe? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Slim Line Breakers

Slim line or tandem breakers will only work if your panel accepts them. The info sheet on the panel door should say or check the model number for a "3040" type designation. If they are accepted, they will only fit in the bottom 10 spaces (5 each side).

o

While the limit for breakers in a residential panel was lifted if your AHJ is not under the new code you may be limited to 42 breakers.

Some boxes were designed to not allow the reduced size breakers to be installed and go over the 42 limit.
A box designed to hold 42 full size breakers is not likely to be listed or accept any half size breakers, and even 30 slot boxes were limited to only 10 half sized (often in the bottom slots only).

If you post the exact manufacturer and model number some of us may recognize what the box can hold.

o

Thanks, fellows for the info. I didn't have to use the slimeline after all. I looked closer and somebody had left a 30 amp double pole breaker in the box that wasn't hooked to anything. I removed it which allowed space for 2 15 amp single poles and used one of them. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here