Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowermum_gw

DIY project: connect pvc to emt conduit? help plz!

flowermum
14 years ago

I want to build a diy tent but we are having trouble finding a 1" Inside Corner Pull Elbow to join the 1" EMT conduit poles together at the corners. It's very strange to me. Why would L's and HD sell 1" EMT Conduit tubing and not sell 1" EMT fittings?

They sell 1/2" and 3/4" corner pull elbows, but not 1". Is there a reason for this?

We are going to check with an electrical warehouse next week but I'm so anxious to begin this project.

Can I use pvc 3-ways & 4-ways or pvc elbows/fittings to join the EMT conduit poles?

TIA

Comments (5)

• spencer_electrician
    14 years ago

Just to verify, this is for a non electrical installation? If HD and L's can't sell at least a dozen per week, they just quit carrying it. For example, switch plates in 1 and 2 gang are available in regular or over-sized unbreakable. 3 gang and up are only the over-sized type. Trimming out a house with material from there results in plates that don't match. Or they'll have brown GFCI outlets but no brown plates that fit a GFCI. I do buy most of my material there to avoid the haggle and bargaining at the supply house (just to get the home store price). But I have spent lots of time trying to find substitutes for what I really need. Don't even get me started on the recessed lighting aisle, hah. I did see 1" LB (elbows) on clearance at one the other day, guess they figured no one will ever need them again.

Away from my home store rant, love them and hate them. Since your not using this to run wire, galvanized or black pipe fittings may work fine. I don't see how you would use a pvc fitting unless you get one with threads. But the plastic wouldn't be great for strength.

• flowermum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, it's totally non--electrical. LOL

I had the great idea that I could skirt purchasing a pre-made tent kit and build my own on the cheap. The 1" tubing was less than $5, and a few bags of quikrete, and I thought I was well on my way to an ingenious diy project...until I tried to find 1" EMT fittings.

I did find a local hardware store that had 1" elbows but they were threaded and the EMT conduit I bought wasn't threaded. Major bummer!

So I was just wondering if I could connect the emt conduit tubing with pvc elbows or pvc 3-ways.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

Hit an actual electrical distributor.

• spencer_electrician
    14 years ago

get the threaded and put a 1" box connector on the pipe (very standard part) It has a set screw to the pipe and a thread that will thread to the elbow. I don't think a pvc elbow glued to PVC is going to hold well at all. Also make sure the EMT tubing is not holding much weight, it is easily bendable, as in a good wind could make a pipe collapse. Rigid pipe would be better choice for any thing structural.

• flowermum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the info.

Spencer Electrician, thanks for the great tips. I'm not planning to put a lot of weight on it. I basically want to use it as a shade canopy and for privacy. I was hoping the 1" would be strong enough and sturdy enough for this purpose. I am planning to use very light weight fabric for draping.

My design calls for 25' x 15'. I plan to use four 1" EMT 10' corner posts with a post in between each corner post for added strength.