Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can green ground screw be moved to different hole in crossbar?

Posted by jeanninepc99 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 21:55

Hey all,

I'm a regular in a different forum on GardenWeb and have what I hope is a quick electrical question.

I've replaced plenty of light fixtures in my place with no problem. Today, my boyfriend was helping me and he made a decision that worries me.

The screws/holes in the outlet box, circular crossbar, and new light fixture we were hanging just weren't linking up properly. He moved the green grounding screw to a different hole in the crossbar (this is one of the round crossbars, with many holes). The hole where it was has two dimples next to it.

The light is up, but I won't use it just yet. Is the grounding screw okay in a different hole or is the hold by the dimples the only place where it can go?

This is kind of, sort of what the crossbar looks like:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can green ground screw be moved to different hole in crossbar

No problem.

o

Thanks so much. I'm sorry for what must be a totally silly question.

The fixture was a little warm to the touch last night and I posted that between feeling the fixture and feeling another one in the laundry room, which is equally hot. I was worried that something was wrong.

o

No question is silly if you don't know the answer. No problem with moving the green wire to alternate screw hole.

The warmth you feel on the fixture has nothing to do with the green ground wire being attached to a different hole on this crossbar plate.

o

Just so you know, no current should be flowing through your ground wire. It is there as a safety feature. If something happens to the light that causes it to become electrified, the current flows to that plate and then to the ground wire and away from you. Electricity flows through metal way faster than a speeding car or plane or anything else you used to dealing with, so it really doesn't matter if the screw is 1 inch away or 4 inches away. The only thing that matters is that the wire is securely connected to the metal plate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here