Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ntl1991

Replacing an Electric Range with Gas. Keep the 240V?

ntl1991
13 years ago

I'm going to be purchasing a gas range to replace my electric one. Last year, I had a plumber come in to run a gas line for my new gas dryer in the basement, and while he was here, I had him run a gas line to the kitchen, and send a stub-out through the floor.

I have a 240V receptacle behind the stove, and a 40A cartridge fuse in the fuse box.

This is in my 3-family apartment house. I intend on staying here for about 5 more years, and I don't intend on putting an electric range back in, even when I leave and rent the apartment out.

Should I have my electrician run a dedicated 15/20A circuit to a new 120V receptacle behind my stove for the gas range, and remove the fuses for the 240V receptacle, or should I have him remove the 240V circuit entirely? Perhaps for future buyers?

I'm trying to get all three floors over to gas. The 3rd floor has a gas boiler, water heater, clothes dryer, and stove. The 1st floor has a gas dryer, water heater, and now stove. 2nd floor has nothing gas besides the water heater. When the 1st and 2nd floor oil boilers need to be replaced, they'll be gas models. I'm not sure if I'll ever run a gas line up to the 2nd floor kitchen...

Comment (1)