Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asampino

Removing Halogen Dimmer Transformer...

asampino
14 years ago

So, I bought the wrong thing, but realized it after I had already started installing it, and now I'm trying to make the best of it.

I have 2 sets of lights (10 lights total, 5 on each strand, each strand with it's own small dimmable transformer built into the line, and a touch dimmer pad attached to that to control the lights) that I would like to turn on and off at the same time.

I don't really want the dimmer, I want to run the lights off of a light switch, and just turn them on or off. They're in the kitchen, and the use is mainly to provide more task lighting on the counters so I don't need any kind of "moody" ambiance lighting.

I have the lights wired into the electrical line which is connected to the switch, and figured that I just wouldn't use the dimmer pad. No such luck. When you turn the switch on the lights don't actually turn on until you hit the dimmer pad.

These are G-4 10w 12v bulbs. Will I blow all of the lights out if I cut the transformer out and splice the line back together without it?

Right now both strands of lights work fine independently of one another, as long as you are using the touch pad. I tried splicing together the touch pad lines, to at least control both sets of lights off one pad, but they just don't seem to work right. The signal to dim doesn't seem to go to both sets at exactly the same time, so they get out of sync.

I'm already out $70, and I really don't want to scrap the whole deal and buy more lights. They are actually very nice lights, the perfect size and the perfect amount of light when turned all the way up. I just want them to be able to be turned on and off on one switch at the same time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (2)