Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swapping GFCI for a regular appliance outlet

Posted by ozzyosmond (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 21:28

I am installing a drawer microwave in our kitchen island and there are 2 outlets that need to be removed and replaced with a single outlet inside the cabinet. The first outlet is a GFCI and it feeds a 2nd outlet. I need to take both of these out and put a single outlet inside the cabinetry at the upper left corner behind the microwave. I have done simple wiring jobs in the past (lighting and replacing outlets), but I don't know how a GFCI's wiring differs from a standard outlet. I am quite sure I don't want to have a GFCI outlet trip inside the cabinet and have to pull out the microwave to reset it! What considerations do I need to make?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swapping GFCI for a regular appliance outlet

You are not allowed to do that. The island is required to have a receptacle that serves the countertop and that one must be GFCI. You can add an additional receptacle inside the cabinet for the microwave, but you must leave the others. The microwave doesn't require a GFCI so if you can pick up the circuit before the GFCI that's fine. The existing GFCI would still be accessible (not behind the microwave) even if you were to connect the microwave on the protected side.

o

There is an outlet against the wall that is on the other end of the island. Couldn't I make that a GFCI? Otherwise I would have to mount one inside a cabinet as there will be no aesthetically pleasing place otherwise.

o

Provided there's no cooktop or sink, an island (or a peninsula which it seems that you have) only requires a single receptacle. The receptacle must be GFCI protected (and should be already, remember that a GFCI CAN protect downstream receptacles).

o

You could replace the GFCI receptacles with regular ones, and then put a GFCI breaker in the breaker box to protect the whole circuit. This would be a way to have ready access if it trips.

o

"There is an outlet against the wall that is on the other end of the island."

Islands are not against walls.

An outlet not ON the island itself does not meet the requirements.

o

In our case you can enter the kitchen through passages on either side of the island and there is a wall just wider than the "island" at one end. So I guess technically it is a peninsula but it's more like an island with a wall on one end!?

o

The NEC requires 2 small appliance ciruits, but even with that requirement, I prefer to specify a dedicated circuit for any microwave or high wattage heating appliance like an instant hot water. Microwaves draw a lot of amps, and even a 20 amp appliance circuit can trip the breaker if you're running the microwave and maybe a crockpot or rice cooker, etc. If you aren't confident enough to run wire from the box, then call an electrician to do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here