Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
code question (counting handles)

Posted by ionized (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 21:24

I have an electric code question. I understand that until 1968, 6 handle throws were allowed to turn off power to a residence. I have seen several split bus panels that are built to take advantage of all those 6 throws.

Some of you have seen the pictures of my three-ph residential service. I have two main panels. One is a split bus panel with 6 mains. The other is a very conventional three-phase panel (single main). They are connected to the meter in a big splice box. My question is, could anything installed in the time of circuit breaker panels have ever met electrical code?

It seems to me that it would have met code requirements if 6 or fewer actual throws were allowed that it would have until 1968. That is because not all of the mains in the split-bus panel are in use. If the POTENTIAL number of throws, assuming that all main breakers can be used are counted, the total is 7 since there is a second panel.

How were they counted?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: code question (counting handles)

They are counted pretty much like they always have been. this excerpt from current 2008 NEC;

The disconnecting means for each supply permitted by 225.30 shall consist of not more than six switches or six circuit breakers mounted in a single enclosure, in a group of separate enclosures, or in or on a switchboard.

Hope that helped.

o

I doubt it did.

If I understand the question correctly, he wants to know if the extra spaces count (since somebody could conceivably add breakers to them later).

I believe they DO NOT count, but I'm not an expert, so I haven't answered this myself.

o

Blanks would not count, it would be up to whomever added another breaker to deal with the 6-throw rule.

o

Thanks, guys. I am sorry for the delay. My father-in-law is in town and we all got busy for the weekend. pharkus interpreted my question correctly and put it much more succinctly. Brickeyee seems to be very sure. It looks like this would have been O.K., in this respect, when installed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here