Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Possible incorrect receptacle wiring

Posted by nietza (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 20:24

I recently completed a basement renovation. During the renovation, my bathroom and outside outlets stopped working. The electricians checked out the issue before leaving and found loose wires in one of my bathroom electrical outlets, which they fixed. They also told my general contractor that all the outlets on my top floor were faulty, due to poor DIY installation by the previous owner (I just moved into this house). They offered to fix the outlets, plus install GFCIs in my bathrooms for $800. I opened up one of the outlets, to see what was wrong. The wires seemed to be connected correctly (I googled...). I didn't want to open up every outlet, so I bought a tester and tested the rest. They all tested fine. I don't want to conclude that I was mis-lead. Are there any other issues with wiring that are within the realm of DIY that could be wrong with the wiring that the receptacle tester wouldn't pick up? Should I have a different electrician look at it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Possible incorrect receptacle wiring

Why didn't you ask the electricians what exactly was the issue they found?
You have a right to know what you're $800 is going to be paying for.

o

I haven't had any direct contract with the electricians, only my general contractor. My general contractor said the wires were reversed in the outlets and that all the upstairs outlets had to be taken out and fixed and GFCIs installed. Can wires be reversed and the receptacle tester still indicate all is correct? Could my general contactor have misunderstood the problem? I had issues with the electrician's work during my basement renovation, So, I am more suspicious than I would typically be.

o

What does "fixed" mean I wonder... And does the GC know that a single GFCI receptacle (or breaker) can protect many things downstream?

o

Is there a bare or green ground wire in each box connected to the receptacle ground screw?

o

if you purchased a common tester that can detect reversed hot and neutral, as well as missing ground, you have covered most of your bases.

There are still things that can be wrong: Wrong size wire, poor workmanship, etc... but you should expect an explanation letting them know you tested for reversed wiring and missing ground.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple tester

o

Asking your contact to put the nature of the faults and details of the remedies in writing would be a big step forward. It forces them to be organized. They will think again about putting fraud in writing rather than just speaking it.

o

Stanard "plug testers" can be fooled by a "bootleg ground".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here