Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Wire type in light fixtures

Posted by ionized (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 18:20

I have to confess that I have been paying no attention in my reading here to what kind of wires are used in enclosures. If I have to change the wiring inside linear fluorescent fixtures and need more, what type do I buy, THHN solid? Do I have to stay true to the color code since everything will be visible, or can I just buy a spool of one color to save a few bucks?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Wire type in light fixtures

Fixture wire is often higher rated for insulation temperature.

This allows for smaller wire siz4es to carry higher currents and run hotter.

The wire should have marking indicating type.

RE: Wire type in light fixtures

Hmm, that does not make my life easier. The markings on the wire are not very clear when they exist. The ballast specs indicate that 18 ga is what should be used for up to 18' for remote mounting.

RE: Wire type in light fixtures

NEMA covers wiring sizes inside equipment, and wire gauge is based on engineering calculations by the company designing the device.

You will be hard pressed to find a #10 wire inside an electric stove, despite the even larger branch circuit conductors and the breaker feeding the stove.

Short lengths of smaller conductors with higher temperature insulation are very common inside equipment.

Make wire you use the correct voltage rating on the output sides of ballasts also.
They can go way over 120 V (300+ is not uncommon at all).

RE: Wire type in light fixtures

The response that I predicted was that the wire should be the same as called for in conduit since think I recall that these enclosures are considered to be equivalent to conduit or junction boxes. Maybe I am wrong in that respect.

Since the ballasts call for 18 ga up to 18 feet away (in conduit or neighboring fixtures), I suppose that that will be adequate for extending wires within the fixture.

The wires that are attached to the GE ballasts are marked with a lot of alphabet soup including:

AWM FT1 105 C 600 V or 90 C 1000 V =F= LF AWM 1316 18 AWG 105 C 600 V 18 AWG or AWM 1452 90 C 100V CSA 213673

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here