Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Touch Service Wires?

Posted by monkeystomach (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 17:59

I know that after I turn off my main breaker that the two service wires are still hot.

In my panel box the service wires enter from the bottom and run along the right hand side all the way to the main breaker at the top.

What happens if I accidentally touch the service wire? It is not bare; it still has the black plastic around it.

Thanks,

Ed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Touch Service Wires?

If you touch the insulation you'll be fine.
If you touch one of the conductors you will not be fine.

o

Luckily while the service lines have a huge current available, they are still only 120 V to ground (and 240 V between them).

Just avoid nicking or damaging the insulation on them.

Shorting them out to ground is a REAL hazard.

The arc and flash can be huge.

Watch out that NOTHING (tools, other wires) contacts the bare conductors.

o

I remember helping someone replace a panel before I had any electrical experience myself who 'knew what they were doing.' They just taped the entrance cables and said 'that will be good enough' and when he was jerking.. I am not joking jerking on the old box to get it off the entrance cable the tape came off. We had been standing in a dark utility room area of the basement which became lit like like 1,000 of them flashing firecrackers. He called and had the meter pulled after that event.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here