Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor Two-Prong Tools

Posted by jaywalker (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 17:55

Educate me, please.

I have three outdoor electrical tools. The mower is newer and has polarized prongs. The hedge trimmer is more than 25 years old, also with two prongs, but does not appear to my eye to have polarized prongs (two equal blades, no separate ground slot). The chainsaw is also old, but has two polarized prongs.

Is there anything wrong with using a three-prong plug with any of these? I don't imagine the ground wire is doing me any good that way.

What outdoor extension power cord can I use for both these tools? Up to now I've been using a 100-foot, 14 gauge outdoor cord with ground prong; the ground just doesn't connect to anything at the tool.

I've just now damaged the cord so that I have two cords - one 75' and the other 25' and need to put a male on one cord and a female on the other.

Do I need to chuck the hedge trimmer and get one that's polarized?

Are there polarized two-prong outdoor power cables?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor Two-Prong Tools

A polarized plug is primarily for devices that have some exposed metal attached to one side of the AC line. The common one is a lamp where the threaded side of the bulb (as opposed the the button in the middle) may be exposed. This makes sure only the grounded conductor is connected to that side.

Plug is the thing with the prongs. The thing on tend end of a extension cord is a socket. The thing on the wall that you plug it into is a receptacle. Obviously you can always use a three wire extension cord with a two wire device just as you can plug a two wire cord into a three wire (Grounded) receptacle.

There are two things that determine wire sizing in this situation. First is how much does the device draw. A two pin plug isn't going to draw more than 15A and usually much less. In that case a 14g cord is fine. The other is how much voltage drop is there over the length of the cord. Again with the small loads I doubt you'll ave a problem. If you were trying to run a refrigerator or a table saw or something at the end, that might have sen an issue.

Out door cords usually aren't worth repairing. You lose the water resistance with your repairs.

o
RE: Outdoor Two-Prong Tools

Ron,

Thanks, I'll get a new cord, probably three-prong, since they look the most common.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here