Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Why are there no toaster-microwaves?

chisue
9 years ago

I'd love to have this combination occupying a corner of my kitchen countertop. Seems to me both toaster-ovens and microwaves have about the same useful lifespans. I don't have room for TWO appliances in my convenient corner.

Perhaps heating elements can't coexist with micro waves? Insurmountable problem?

Comments (14)

• saltcedar
    9 years ago

This should do it.

Here is a link that might be useful: microwave with convection and grill

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

GE makes an Advantium which is a sort of hybrid microwave, halogen, and convention oven.

Due to it's use of a large halogen bulb for a heat source, I refer to it as my EasyBake oven.

• chisue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks but...I don't see that these will TOAST anything.

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

The Advanitum will toast (it even has a menu setting for doing so), though it's not a real convenient toaster.

• saltcedar
    9 years ago

"I don't see that these will TOAST anything."

Then you clearly didn't read the reviews that says they do toast.

• chisue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What I see is that they will 'top brown' or 'grill'. I don't see two heating elements that would brown anything top and bottom (as does my toaster oven). Sorry if I've missed that.

• saltcedar
    9 years ago

They don't require Two Elements because they are Convection Ovens. Their main claim to fame is Even Browning.

• petey_racer
    9 years ago

A toaster, or toaster oven, is a vastly different animal to a microwave. IMO combining the two would be more trouble than it's worth.
    Convection/micro is common, but again, nothing like a real toaster.

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

The advantium has halogen elements on both the top and bottom. Some models also have convection.

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

As was said above, "GE makes an Advantium which is a sort of hybrid microwave, halogen, and convention oven."

I've owned two of these... very handy above range appliance.

It will not toast anything, contrary to what has been said above.

It IS a very handy convection oven and of course a plain microwave. We rarely use the "Speed Cook" or "Flashy Cook" as my wife calls it. ;-)

• chisue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, all. I guess I'll still need two appliances if I want to microwave AND *toast*.

• saltcedar
    9 years ago

"We are very pleased with this oven. We have a galley kitchen and space is at a premium. We really wanted an oven that could do it all, i.e., microwave, bake, and particularly toast. It has two grill settings that allow you to toast both sides or just the top. We put the bread directly on the turntable and it is not necessary to flip during the cycle. It takes a bit longer to toast than a toaster oven, but it's well worth it."

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharp Double Grill Convection Countertop Microwave

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Interesting thread. We use separate appliances as we often have two or three different things going at the same time.

• chisue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

saltcellar -- Ah, now I see the Q & A that says it takes five or six minutes to *toast*. That's longer than my already-slow Krups toaster-oven-broiler, but this could work for us. Thanks for persevering with me.

bus_driver -- Yes, well now I'm thinking that when I M/W veggies I'm also heating rolls in the toaster-oven. I've outsmarted myself...again.