Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
la_koala

Ques re planning receptacles and future backsplash tiling

la_koala
13 years ago

Hi all,

My spouse and I are planning out our kitchen remodel. We're going to hire a GC and licensed electrician, etc, etc -- have not lined them up yet, as we want to make sure we have our ducks in a row so we can talk intelligently with the GC.

My question is about this situation:

- We want to defer until some later future date the tiling of the "backsplash" area between the countertop and the wall cabinets.

(Deferring for a number of reasons -- figure it's something we can live without while we get used to the new color scheme, save the expense for a period of time, easier to choose tile when we've got the new windows, cabinets, counter installed, etc)

- So, if we have the receptacles installed in the wall (regular painted wall) as part of the large kitchen remodeling, and are appropriately flush with the wall surface, and then months later, we want to tile the surface, what gotchas might happen? What should we plan for now to reduce them from happening?

I've seen the term "box extender" used in this forum -- is that what would be used and is there anything we should make sure is done in the initial installation to make using these down the road easier?

And if I'm not asking the right questions or something is clearly wrong in my understanding, please let me know.

Thank you!

Lee

Comments (3)