Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ionized_gw

T8 retrofits

ionized_gw
12 years ago

Does anyone here experienced in retrofitting 8 ft T12 fixtures from 8' T12 to 4' T8s? How about 2 x 4 troffers? It seems like kits and individual parts are common for troffers and for channel fixtures. The 8' channel fixture parts that mount the tombstones seem to be somewhat adjustable for width.

I have some strip lights that won't be a real problem, but I have another style that is neither strip nor troffer. They are a style that I have probably seen in schoolhouses of my youth or commercial establishments way back then. Please see the pics.

If there are not parts specifically designed to do this, it seems like my best bet might be to get a center tombstone mount (that will also enclose the wires) designed for a channel fixture. I might have to change the ones on the ends with replacements designed for troffer retrofit. The tricky part might be to get the spacing right, both vertically and horizontally. I realize that I would probably have to do some fabrication to fully enclose the wires with the commercial brackets designed to retrofit another fixture.

I have thought about going to T5 system as well, but I'd probably have to put in an asymmetrical combination of 3' or 2' and 5' tubes.

I will probably consult with my local lighting supply house on this at some point and get parts there.

Before anyone asks, yes, I really do like these fixtures and I would probably have to spend at least $400 to replace them with something decent. A retrofit will cost a lot less if you don't include my screwing around with it.

Here are some pics. I removed the grid from half of this fixture.

Comments (6)