Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crampon

How to wire wall light - notch stud, or via attic / basement?

crampon
11 years ago

Hi all, I'm installing a new wall light in my bathroom. There was not a light in this spot before, so I need to install an old work box as well as run wire.

There is an existing light fixture that's about 6 inches to one side and 6 inches down from where the new light fixture will go. I'm not certain if this existing fixture is wired through the attic or through the basement; we have both in our house. This fixture is on the other side of a stud from where the new fixture will go.

I cut the hole for the old work box yesterday, and it is close enough to the stud that I can reach in to notch or bore out a hole big enough to fish through the wire from the existing fixture (which I am going to remove).

Or, I could try going through the attic or basement. I would hesitate to go through the attic because we have something like R-36 of expanding foam insulation up there, which is over the tops of the joists, and it would be a pain to cut through to get at the wiring (as well as reducing our attic insulation). The basement would be easier, and I believe the basement ceiling is open in the relevant spot. Of course, if it is run through the basement, it's possible there's not enough slack in the wiring to reach to a higher location on the wall...

Any advice or suggestions on what the best / easiest approach would be?

Comments (3)