Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2,3,4,5, or 6 -way time delay or occupancy

Posted by ionized (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 16:17

Does anyone make an occupancy sensor or time delay (off) switch that can go into one position in a multiple switch lighting circuit and work without messing with the other switches?

I would consider installing time delay (off) in my garage light circuit that is controlled by two switches in the house and 4 switches in the garage. I would also consider one or the other in a hallway that has 4 switches.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2,3,4,5, or 6 -way time delay or occupancy

You can always find a ZWAVE or perhaps X.10 controller and a bunch of slaves to do this.

o

To put it another way, sometimes the garage lights get left on by accident for a couple of hours. There are several bulbs. I'd like to have them go off automatically after a time period, but I don't want to change all the switches. I suppose even though there are 6 switches, only two or three of them are the ones that would tend to be switched and then forgotten.

o

Put the timer in the first light fixture in the chain.

o

Thanks, what kind of timer goes in the light fixture rather than in the switch?

o

sounds like you need a motion sensor on the lights..
on with a time delay with the light on..

something like thats used on an outdoor light.

-dkenny

o

No, what I want is a device that I could install in place of one switch and would work if any of the switches are used on that particular string of lights. Does that device exist?

thanks

o

The occupancy sensor would have to be in the space you want to monitor. Can't say I've seen "switch" device that works alone in a multi-way situation.

Frankly, as suggested, you be better off using an independent sensor placed between the switches and first light fixture.

o

Will that turn on the light when I operate one of the two switched in the house?

o

You set it up so that when the light feed is energized the light comes on immediately, and then hold the light on for a delay after the light feed is removed.

It is easier to do if you have an unswitched hot line at the first light to make sure the timer can run on a time delay relay.

o

Ah, I now see what you guys are talkin' about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here