Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zcrane_gw

junction box

zcrane
9 years ago

I have 4 outlets in my kitchen (2 circuits). I would like to have each one on it's own circuit. Is it ok for me to have a junction box in the garage? It would be easily accessible. You would just have to enter the garage to access it. The fridge is already on it's own circuit.

Comments (8)

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

A receptacle is only on its own circuit if it runs all the way back to its own breaker, not just to a junction box. Also, I assume you are aware that code requires two of the kitchen countertop circuits be 20 amp and be GFI protected. It would help if you explained your overall plan.

• zcrane
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you, I'm sorry that my question was a bit confusing.

I am aware that the countertop receptacles need their own 20 amp circuits. Currently there are 4 countertop receptacles that are on two 20 amp circuits.

The easiest way for me to send the new wires (to have 4 circuits) from the breaker box would be to install a junction box in the garage. Would it be ok to use a junction box if it was in the garage. The hypothetical j box would be on the garage wall around shoulder height.

• jreagan_gw
    9 years ago

Why do you think each countertop receptacle needs its own circuit? That isn't true. You DO need at least TWO 20A countertop CIRCUITS that have GFCI protection. Go read 210.52(B) and (C)

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

No code provision prohibits individual receptacles from being on a dedicated circuit. This is true for all loads except that smoke alarms must be on a circuit shared with other frequently used loads, such as bedroom lights.
    I once helped a homeowner who wanted EVERY light and receptacle to be on an individual circuit. Required incredible amounts of NM cable and a room dedicated to house the panels. It was unnecessary excess.

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

The small appliance circuits aren't limited to countertops. It servers (with slight exception) all the kitchen receptacles.

• btharmy
    9 years ago

do you keep tripping breakers?

• joefixit2
    9 years ago

"This is true for all loads except that smoke alarms must be on a circuit shared with other frequently used loads, such as bedroom lights."

I have always thought this was a good idea and always put the smokes on a lighting circuit, but I did not know it was required. Are you talking NEC?

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

Not in the NEC to my knowledge. Perhaps NFPA 72 or some local code. Pretty much all smokes these days are required to be both hardwired and battery backed up.