Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recessed light problem

Posted by nickt (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 15:58

Hi, I have several recessed lights installed in the cathedral ceiling of my office. A while back, one stopped working. I think it blinked occasionally before going out (but not sure of this). I have switched bulbs with no success. I don't really know much about lighting/electrical, but I assume it is the ballast, since there are not many parts involved in these things. This a link to the housing with a schematic:

http://www.lbclighting.com/NLIC-401QSAT.html#more_info

My question is can I change the ballast myself? I am handy but limited in electrical. Also, will I have to tear out some of my ceiling to get to the ballast? The drawing seems to indicate components inside and outside the housing. I can see the internal components after taking the cover and can off, but the other part is obviously inside the ceiling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recessed light problem

I suggest you buy an identical replacement fixture. You can use it for parts and can explore it to see what you need to do to make the repairs without tearing up the ceiling. The socket, thermal sensor or transformer can all be failure points.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here