Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is a loose 240V outlet behind stove up to code?

Posted by lee676 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 15:37

I often come across electric kitchen stoves plugged into a 240V receptacle that rather than being recessed into the wall like a normal outlet, is mounted in a electric box sitting on the floor, which is supplied by a two-foot-or-so run of BX cable that then disappears into the wall. The box and outlet can be moved freely around a few inches, although the cabinets to either side assure it sits on the floor behind the range. Is this safe, and is it up to (U.S.) code? I occasionally see same thing for clothes dryers too.

Thx.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is a loose 240V outlet behind stove up to code?

The box should be fastened in place, and the cable fastened near the box.

The solid and large size stranded conductors used for these circuits are not designed to move around after installation.

Is it a horrible hazard?

Probably not since it is pretty well protected from incidental movement behind a stove or dryer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here