Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sub Panel

Posted by sparky2010 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 14:18

How do I know I'm not overloading my sub Panel? What is the calculation for determining my load and what size main over current device should be used?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sub Panel

Your sub-panel came with a maximum amperage rating. The breaker that feeds the panel must have no higher rating than either that or the supply cable.

o

Is the breaker feeding the sub panel the correct size for the panel and cable ratings? Is that breaker tripping?

If the answers are yes and no then you have no problem.

o

Keep in mind that the sum of the breakers installed has nothing to do with overloading of any panel.

It is very rare outside of an industrial setting to have even a fraction of the circuits sullying their full load.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here