Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Three romex into recessed light box

Posted by coopns (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 14:02

I have three romex coming into one arm of the recessed light. 1 from a new recessed light, 1 from switch and 1 from not sure where. I connected all the blacks/whites/grounds to the recessed light but the light doesn't turn off when I flipped the circuit back on.

When I took the existing light out it had two romex going in but funny (or not) thing was one of the reds wasn't hooked up, it was just sitting there, no wire caps and not attached to anything. I tried it once with the red in with the blacks and one without and neither would turn the light off.

The other romex that came from the switch didn't have a red. Light worked fine.

Please advise

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Three romex into recessed light box

There's more to wiring than just matching the colors.

My guess is the "not sure where" wire is the power feed from (indirectly or directly) the breaker. By just twisting together all the colors you by feed power to the light even when the switch is off (and if you turn the switch on, I bet the breaker trips...then the light goes off). If that's the case, take the black from the "not sure where" wire, connect it to the white going to the switch. Take the black from the switch and put it to the black for the two lights. Connect the whites from the light and the "not sure where" together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here