Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tile_gw

Legrand Monopoly over Fancy Switches/Wall Plates? Alternatives?

Tile
10 years ago

is Legrand the only company that sells trendy wall plates and fancy touch-screen switches/dimmers? How are they in terms of quality and value?

My entire house is being rewired and I'm thinking of adding some nice touches if cost isn't to prohibitive. I've been searching online and Legrand seems to have a monopoly over the fancy switches/dimmers market.

Comments (8)

• petey_racer
    10 years ago

A monopoly would imply that a company is the only one that offers something people need or would have a hard time doing without. Fancy devices hardly fall into this category.

It's just not many other companies are willing to take the risk on such a small volume market. There are PLENTY of other companies that make and offer devices.
    IMO Legrand is going to fall flat on it's face with these fancy and expensive devices.

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

It's kind of hit or miss if it will take off or not. If not, you could be left with something that is impossible to replace with an identical device when it breaks. The toggle switch has been around forever and Leviton introduced the Decora paddle in the 1970's and it took off. Take a look at the functionality if you want something leading edge.

Lutron has Maestro Wireless.

Depending on the device, Lutron has a ton of colors available.

Leviton has a large selection of various matching Decora devices but not as many colors available as Lutron.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lutron Maestro Wireless Video

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

As an engineer - I'd say stick with traditional colors - white / ivory / maybe black or gray.

I don't think any manufacturer is going to stock all those colors. And the ones that don't sell will be discontinued.

In 5 years, when one of those 'fancy' looking switches breaks - good luck finding a replacement.

• jaxo
    9 years ago

I like the looks of the Legrand products.
    It's surprising to me there are no competitors or at least they do not come up easily in a Google search.
    While I can find plenty of upscale "cover plates," the actual switch and outlet inside remains cheap-looking plastic.
    This is fine when the outlet is hidden behind furniture and appliances, but I have a few outlets at eye level in the kitchen plus the light switches in the living room and hallway that kind as stand out as cheap-looking compared to most of the rest of the house.
    "Fancy" outlets and light switches would be nice at least for these select locations.
    I also have some non-standard sized switches that I'm not sure if Legrand makes anything that would work for.
    See these photos.

Any suggestions of nicer-looking switches that would be able to be dropped into these locations without needing to make wall modifications?

• petey_racer
    9 years ago

Decora style would probably be nicer in your application.

-First thing I'd do is lose that dumb blue sticker.
    -Next would be to get some dimmers that don't suck and are not from the 70's. Rotary dimmers are the WORST!
    -Then I'd lose that red pilot switch, unless of course you absolutely need it. I know when my attic lights are on because the switch is up.

• petey_racer
    9 years ago

Decora style would probably be nicer in your application.

-First thing I'd do is lose that dumb blue sticker.
    -Next would be to get some dimmers that don't suck and are not from the 70's. Rotary dimmers are the WORST!
    -Then I'd lose that red pilot switch, unless of course you absolutely need it. I know when my attic lights are on because the switch is up.

• jaxo
    9 years ago

The lighted switches aren't to tell if the light is on or off. They are to make it easy to find the light switch easily in the dark without blindly feeling around the wall leaving finger marks on the wall.
    I'd like to keep lighted switches. They don't need to be red, but they should be visible in the dark.