Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GFCI Wiring Problem

Posted by bshanley (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 13:27

I'm trying to replace a standard outlet in my lavatory with a GFCI. I've done this before with no problems. This time the GFCI won't test or reset, but there is still power to the outlets downstream. The orange GFCI light comes on, and the reset button sounds like a doorbell if you push it in and hold it. White wires to silver terminals, black to brass. I was pretty sure I had the line and load done correctly, but just to be sure, I reversed them. That time, no light, no noise, but no test or reset, either. Still power downstream. The box is a metal and grounded. There was no additional grounding wire on the receptacle I removed, and I did not add one to the GFCI. The old receptacle showed "grounded" with my tester. Am I doing something wrong, or could it be a defective GFCI? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GFCI Wiring Problem

By chance is there another GFCI on the same circuit? Maybe in the garage. A recent problem had the garage door opener on a GFCI which was downstream from other receptacles.

o

Sounds like the supply is wired to the wrong terminal.

New GFCIs will not reset if the power is applied to the LOAD terminals instead of the LINE terminals.

o

Hi Brickeye: That was my first thought, too, but I tried it both ways. Neither worked the way it should.

Hi Texasredhead: nope, not another GFCI downstream.

All help is appreciated!!

o

It is possible that the GFCI is faulty. Since you are convinced that it is properly installed, trying a different one is the next logical step.

o

You sould also have a ground to neutral fault on the load side.

What is hooked up?

Try just connecting the line terminals to the feed and see if the unit will reset, and then trip when the test button is pushed.

If that works correctly, hook up the load side.

There are a small fraction of any manufactured device that are defective out of the box.

o

Brickeye solves another problem! I disconnected the load wires and the GFCI reset and tested. But it turns out there was just a little more to it. The other outlets that I thought were downstream stayed on no matter what. So if they were actually upstream, what the heck was downstream? There had to be something, since there were load wires going out of the box. There was one phantom outlet, clear on the other side of a different room that is on a different circuit. It was part of a defunct antenna rotor system and hadn't been used in 25 years. For some strange reason that one outlet was wired back to the bathroom. And therein lay the ground fault. Thank you Brickeye, Gardenweb, and everyone else!

o

Glad you got it figured out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here