Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Multiple 3-way switch wiring help

Posted by monkeystomach (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 12:38

Hi Guys,

This forum has always provided me with helpful and accurate electrical advice and I am back with more questions.

Here is the situation: I am remodeling my kitchen. There are currently two circuits (12/2 romex) that run the receptacles and another circuit (14/2 romex) that controls the light fixture. We plan to replace the single light in the middle of the room with 6 or 8 recessed cans in the ceiling. The lighting circuit is currently set up in a "standard" 3-way switch configuration where the power comes into one switch and 14/3 is used to connect it to the other switch.

We would like to keep the 3-way switches but also add another set of 3-way switches so we can control half of the recessed cans at a time. What is the best way to do this? Right now I am guessing that I will just add a pigtail from the power wire to another switch and run another 14/3 to the other new switch across the room. Or is there someway to wire it if I run 14/3 to the recessed cans?

We also want to hard-wire some under cabinet lights. Would I be over loading the kitchen lighting circuit to also add the under cabinet lights to it?

Thanks,
Ed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Multiple 3-way switch wiring help

"We would like to keep the 3-way switches but also add another set of 3-way switches so we can control half of the recessed cans at a time. "

You will have to break up the existing string of lights and add another switch at each location.

Each switch will control half the lights.

You need to add up the loads on the existing circuit to determine how much more it can support.

You are generally limited to 80% of the circuit capacity (15 A or 20 A)

o

The easiest thing to do is just copy the 3 way switch that is there and make another one just like it to control the other set of lights.

For the load, current = power/voltage. Add up the watts of all your lights and divide by 110. With 6 cans and some under cabinet, you should be fine. Don't forget to include anything else on that circuit though - eg range hood.

o

"Add up the watts of all your lights and divide by 110. "

The nominal voltage that is used is 120 V.

o

If you are cutting it close enough for 110 vs 120 to matter, then you should add another lighting circuit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here