Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monkeystomach_gw

Multiple 3-way switch wiring help

monkeystomach
12 years ago

Hi Guys,

This forum has always provided me with helpful and accurate electrical advice and I am back with more questions.

Here is the situation: I am remodeling my kitchen. There are currently two circuits (12/2 romex) that run the receptacles and another circuit (14/2 romex) that controls the light fixture. We plan to replace the single light in the middle of the room with 6 or 8 recessed cans in the ceiling. The lighting circuit is currently set up in a "standard" 3-way switch configuration where the power comes into one switch and 14/3 is used to connect it to the other switch.

We would like to keep the 3-way switches but also add another set of 3-way switches so we can control half of the recessed cans at a time. What is the best way to do this? Right now I am guessing that I will just add a pigtail from the power wire to another switch and run another 14/3 to the other new switch across the room. Or is there someway to wire it if I run 14/3 to the recessed cans?

We also want to hard-wire some under cabinet lights. Would I be over loading the kitchen lighting circuit to also add the under cabinet lights to it?

Thanks,

Ed

Comments (4)