Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dead front GFCI question

Posted by uniflow (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 12:12

I need to upgrade the two wire receptacle service in the 1950 built house we just moved in to. We have a couple power hungry counter top appliances and for sake of convenience we would like them close together.

From the sticker shock and inconvenience of two pole GFCI breakers I am pondering dead front GFCI's above the counter top with a receptacle along side fed by the dead front.

The reason I just don't install GFCI receptacles instead is because, as far as I know, you cannot run separate legs to each of the two sockets. And if both my appliances were plugged into a 20A service on one leg it would trip a breaker.

If I install a 20A two pole breaker and run a hot and separate neutral to each of two dead fronts may I biwire a duplex receptacle and be code legal? That is, each half of the receptacle would be on a separate leg, so each half would be capable of carrying up to 20A. THis raises another question, are duplex receptacle amp ratings the total for both sockets or the total for each one?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dead front GFCI question

You are going to need to keep the neutral separate on the load side of the GFCIs.

You could just put two GFCIs in the same box side by side and plug one appliance into each one.

o

Just a reminder that once you dig into the counter wiring, you're obliged to bring it up to code. Unless it's a really small counter, just two recepts won't do it.

But you can indeed take two separate hot-and-neutral feeds from the load sides of the GFIs and use them to power the other required counter receptacles.

I'm assuming that you're pulling a homerun for this since they will also have to be grounded.

o

Why use dead fronts?

Just put a GFCI receptacle in the box and feed from the load side to the other receptacles.

You will need 12/12/12/12 cable (two separate circuits plus ground).

This is a lot of work just to keep each side of a duplex on seperate circuits though.

Why not just alternate the duplex receptacles so each is on
the other circuit?

Kitchen counter receptacles must be spaced so thet no plac eon the counter is more than 24 inches (measured parallel to the wall) from a receptacle.

Sinks, stoves, etc. divide the counter into separate areas and are not included in the requirement.

Any section of counter more than 12 inches wide needs a receptacle.

It is one of those places that if you touch the wiring most places require you to meet the code in affect at the time.

o

I thank all of you for your expertise and the time you took to comment. I was not aware of the 24" rule, thanks, Brickeyee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here