Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uniflow

dead front GFCI question

uniflow
12 years ago

I need to upgrade the two wire receptacle service in the 1950 built house we just moved in to. We have a couple power hungry counter top appliances and for sake of convenience we would like them close together.

From the sticker shock and inconvenience of two pole GFCI breakers I am pondering dead front GFCI's above the counter top with a receptacle along side fed by the dead front.

The reason I just don't install GFCI receptacles instead is because, as far as I know, you cannot run separate legs to each of the two sockets. And if both my appliances were plugged into a 20A service on one leg it would trip a breaker.

If I install a 20A two pole breaker and run a hot and separate neutral to each of two dead fronts may I biwire a duplex receptacle and be code legal? That is, each half of the receptacle would be on a separate leg, so each half would be capable of carrying up to 20A. THis raises another question, are duplex receptacle amp ratings the total for both sockets or the total for each one?

Thanks

Comments (4)

Sponsored
WM Design Studio, LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudoun County's Skilled Residential Architect | 4X Best of Houzz!