Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smurfsdad

doorbell wiring diagram

smurfsdad
15 years ago

I need some help please. I have a front door, back door, and a big house. I would like to put chimes in two ends of the house and a buzzer in the basement. Can anyone supply or tell me where to find a wiring diagram to do this. I certainly appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Smurfsdad

Comments (10)

• linesman
    15 years ago

"Hello Smurfsdad"

Here are 2 ways you can do this
    Hope this helps --Let us know how you made out

Have A Nice Day
    Linesman

• smurfsdad
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Linesman! The drawing shows one "bell". Could I just add the two chimes on and wire them from the bell?

Smurfsdad

• linesman
    15 years ago

Hello Smurfsdad"

Yes you could just wire up the 2nd and 3rd chimes by taping off the "RED WHITE & BLUE" wires of the 1st chime.
    (3 wires to chime #2 and 3 wires to chime #3.
    Just make sure that the Transformer you get has enough volts to power all 3 chimes.

Have A Nice Day
    Linesman

• smurfsdad
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again Linesman. It'll be a few days 'till I get to that point, but I'll let you know how I came out. Sure do appreciate your help!

Smurfsdad

• fotostat
    15 years ago

"Just make sure that the Transformer you get has enough volts to power all 3 chimes."

Current rating?

• smurfsdad
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your post fotostat. My transformer is a 16 volt. I got the chimes hooked up today. Is looking good. Thank you guys for your help

Smurfsdad

• jim9415
    14 years ago

I'm attempting to add a second chime to an existing front door button and chime, but there are only two wires from the button to the existing chime -- one red & one white. The red one attaches to the terminal marked "F" on the chime while the white does not connect to the chime but is connected by a wire nut to a white wire running to the transformer. The "T" terminal on the existing chime runs another red wire to the transformer. To what do I connect the "F" and "T" terminals on the second chime to to make this work? It seems to me I should run a wire from "F" terminal to "F" terminal and another wire from the "T" terminal on the second chime to the white wire running from the door button at the wire nut -- bypassing the transformer entirely.

• stash-hdy
    14 years ago

When should you use the 16 and 24 V connections? If you connect to the 16V and it works is that OK or can you underpower the system and burn out the transformer over a shorter period of time?

• bubbadej_verizon_net
    12 years ago

Question: I have two, two wires each at the bell. Two red and two white total.

Two wires will give a small spark when touched, I assume they are from the transformer which have a red and white wire at the leads.
    The other two wires do nothing when touched together, I assume from the front button, there is not rear. How do I attached the wires to the bell to make it ring. When I touch to the F R T the bell hums and I can't figure the sequence. Help?

• gerzeygrl_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I'm trying to reinstall an old Nutone chime that came with our house. There is wiring in our kitchen where the chime had been before remodeling. It appears that the transformer box is in the unit (box marked front/trans/rear). I can't tell what wires in the kitchen are for the chimes (connected to the button by the front door). Can someone explain to me or should I give in and call an electrician?