Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamie1s

Can I create remote control for solar spotlight?

Jamie
9 years ago

I want to highlight a great big tree in my backyard. We want to enjoy a dramatic view from the screen porch at night. A bonus is that if I have a reading light on in the screen porch, it won't put me "on stage" for passersby, because there will be other light around. At least I think so.

But, I want to be able to turn the spotlight off.

Say the spotlight has an off/switch. Or doesn't. I can get either, but the ones without on/of switches are far more available. SGG-S12-WW on the site linked below is an example WITH a switch..

The solar panel is remote, and has no switch. Can I remotely control the spotlight from the porch? It is maybe 30 feet to the tree. But I would be shoeless and possibly in my pajamas and it would be dark on the way back and could be wet.

The guy at Solar Goes Green indicates that I can't remotely control the spot, but I thought I'd check here.

He does sell one with a remote, but it's super bright and not warm light. SGG-F108-2R on the Solar Goes Green site linked below. He indicates that I can't warm up or reduce the light on that one, but another retailer tells me that if I don't let it get too much sun, it will be dimmer from the outset. Seems like a lot of trial and error to do this, and would the light be a bad color for my application?

Why don't I want to hardwire? Cost, lots of digging, and I'd like to be able to move the light around.

Here is a link that might be useful: Solar Goes Green