Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
using a two pole switch in a split light circuit

Posted by uniflow (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 10:06

Greetings everyone, my thanks in advance for your help. I plan to pull a four wire 240V service to my out building. There are ten identical fluorescent lights that I want to come on at the same time but as two separate circuits.

To balance the load between phases could I run the two legs of a two pole breaker to a two pole switch and then go off the switch to five lights on one side and five on the other? Am I correct that this would effectively cancel netural current so I could combine neutrals and run one white wire back to the sub panel unbonded neutral bar? I have researched multi-wiring receptacles and this seems to fall into that realm.
Thank you again, Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: using a two pole switch in a split light circuit

"To balance the load between phases..."

You most likely have a single phase 120/240 V service.
It is not a separate phase.

'Balancing' between the legs, especially for small loads is not all that useful.

If you really want to make things more complicated than needed you could use a multi-wire branch circuit with a two pole switch controlling the two legs to switch the circuit.

Make sure you use a two pole breaker (required in a case like this even under the old code rules).

o
RE: using a two pole switch in a split light circuit

I'm probably missing why you don't want somebody to turn on half the lights? So just having two switches mounted in a double box seems much simpler.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here